From the introduction of the M-10000 in 1934, Union Pacific set a new
standard for luxury with its Streamliner trains. As ridership grew in
the late 30s, UP ordered new equipment to provide daily service.
Although WWII brought an abrupt halt to the project, by 1946, UP and
partners CNW, SP and Wabash had over 100 new cars on order to begin
daily "City" runs on several routes. As delivery delays mounted and
competitors rolled out new trains, UP opted to rebuild some prewar cars
and ordered still more new equipment. While other roads began cutting
back in the 1950s, UP expanded service with new "Astra Dome" coaches,
lounges and diners. And in 1955, a new service agreement saw Milwaukee
Road cars added to UP trains. Despite its ongoing investment in new
equipment -- by 1965, UP had purchased 642 brand-new cars -- and
commitment to service, losses escalated and UP turned over operation of
its trains to Amtrak on May 1, 1971. Today, several original "City"
cars survive in museums, as well as in UP's excursion fleet, which sees
service behind the company's restored steam and diesel power.