Built by the Pennslyvania Railroad "Lines East" starting
in 1914, they were originally equiped with Arch bar Leaf Spring
trucks, "K" brake system, brake levers on each end platform
and had no crash bars. They were later updated with Ajax brake
wheels and AB brake system and crash posts.
The oldest of the Conrail caboose classes, Conrail started with
314 in 1976. By 1981 there were only 118 left.
The PRR's began building 199 N-5C's
in March 1942. This caboose utilized round windows on the carbody
and most end doors, a larger streamlined cupola , lower belt rail,
no vertical butt strip.
Exterior dimensions were the same
as for the N-5B.
Original PRR numbers were 477820-478019.
Penn Central renumbered them into the 23000-23179 series.169 made it to Conrail retaining
their PC numbers.
They weighted 43200 lbs