In 1950, Bangor & Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300
insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service. An
additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953.
The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters. New
Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and
factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save
money on the purchase. The cars carried potatos in the winter and
paper products in the summer.
Shopping Cart Powered by Volusion.