Among a total of 1700 pieces of rolling stock ordered from the St.
Louis-based American Car & Foundry in 1904 were 750 boxcars that
would become one of the most reliable and identifiable narrow gauge
freight car classes to ply the three-foot rails of Colorado.
By 1924, over two decades of heavy service was evident
as the 3000 Series fleet begged for replacement or repair. Now re-named
as the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, the company
accountants found tax burden relief by rebuilding the existing boxcars
over the option of placing an order for new cars. The cars were
stripped of much of the wood while the hardware and trucks were re-used
to construct relatively new cars. As rebuilt, the boxcars were equipped
with sheet metal Murphy roofs while the side and end doors on many were
upgraded with Camel hardware. Some of the cars were equipped with a
relatively sparse door, hasp and door guide design compared to that of
the Camel hardware equipped models. These versions have come to be
known as the “economy door" boxcars. By the late 1960s, approximately
20 percent of the surviving 3000 series boxcars were identified as
being of the economy door design. The term “plain door” boxcar has also
been used to describe this special sub class. Today, many of these
boxcars survive in limited service on the Durango & Silverton
Narrow Gauge Railroad and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.
Shopping Cart Powered by Volusion.